Rutland Car Accident Attorney Thousands of Clients Served Since 1980

Rutland Car Accident Lawyer

Have You Been Injured in a Car Accident in Vermont?

Car accidents have the potential to derail a victim’s life, especially if injuries are involved. With all of the medical expenses, property damage repairs, and time is taken off work to recover, things can really add up.

If you have sustained an injury in a car accident caused by a negligent driver, Shillen & Mackall is committed to helping you obtain a maximum settlement. Our Rutland personal injury attorney can review your case and discuss with you all of your legal options available to get the results you desire.

Car Accident Laws in Vermont

In general, any person who was negligent and caused injuries can be held accountable for those injuries. While many accidents are caused by one party alone, there are others where all parties share some responsibility for the crash.

The state uses a “modified comparative fault” rule which reduces--or eliminates--damage awards if the plaintiff is found to be partially liable for the car accident and underlying injuries. So if you were 50 percent or less at fault for your injuries, the court will reduce your damages according to the proportion of your level of liability.

For example, let’s say you’ve been injured in a collision with another driver and you decide to take your case to court. After conducting a claim investigation and considering all of the evidence, the jury decides that your total losses equal $150,000. However, the jury also finds you 35 percent liable for the crash and the other driver was 65 percent at fault, meaning you will only recover $97,500. The $150,000 total, minus the $52,500 that represents your 35 percent of fault for the accident.

If you are found to be 50 percent or more at fault for causing the crash, you are prohibited from recovering any damages from the other parties involved.

We handle the following types of car accidents:

  • Distracted driving accidents
  • Drunk driving accidents
  • Reckless driving accidents
  • Multi-vehicle accidents
  • Single vehicle accidents
  • Hit-and-run accidents
  • Uninsured and underinsured motorist accidents
  • Ridesharing (Uber/Lyft) accidents
  • Commercial vehicle accidents

Ready to Help You Recover From Injury

With millions of dollars recovered for our clients, we understand what it takes to obtain the best results possible. While you may be worried about money, especially when you have medical bills and other expenses to be concerned over, our Rutland car accident attorney works on a contingency fee basis. This means that you don’t have to pay us anything until we win your case. Let us protect your rights and best interests against the at-fault party and insurance companies.

What Sets Us Apart?

  • A Legacy of Successful Cases and Happy Clients Since 1980
  • Free Initial Consultations and a Contingency Fee Basis
  • Exclusive Knowledge and Focus on Personal Injury Law
  • Over 75 Years of Combined Legal Experience
  • Representation Tailored to Your Specific Needs and Circumstances
  • 24/7 Availability and Fast, Attentive Service

See What Our Clients Are Saying About Us

  • “Dennis is an excellent lawyer and a very genuine person.”

    - Jane S.
  • “Mr. Mackall was very professional and guided me through the process of a personal injury lawsuit.”

    - Ritva Burton
  • “The end result was better than imagined and I can't thank Mr. Shillen and his team enough!”

    - Jeremy B.

We Want to Help 

Contact Us Now
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.