Vermont Car Accident Attorneys
Representing Victims Throughout Vermont and New Hampshire
After a car accident, medical and rehabilitation bills, everyday expenses, property damage, time taken off work to recover, and other expenses, can add up. This is why Shillen Mackall & Seldon takes personal injury cases on a contingency fee and we charge no fee until we win, and we front all of your costs for you. If you have been injured in an auto accident in Vermont or New Hampshire, a Vermont car accident lawyer can fight on your side to get you the compensation that you deserve.
As our client, you can expect the following:
- Emphasis on Your Rights: We understand what is at stake in these situations. We want to make sure you are put in the best possible position to recover financially – as well as medically.
- Focus on Safety: As car accident lawyers, we believe that our role is to demand safer standards across the board in the local community and general public.
- Cost-Effective Counsel: We believe that our clients should not be put out financially. We accept all cases on contingency – so you don’t have to worry about any upfront legal fees.
- Results-Oriented Advocacy: We level the playing field and refuse lowball offers from insurance companies. Our team demands the full compensation you deserve at this time.
Is There a Time Limit for Filing My Case?
Yes! Each state has laws that regulate how long after an accident you may bring a lawsuit against the negligent party. These laws are referred to as the "Statute of Limitations." The Vermont Statute of Limitations can be found in 12 V.S.A. section 512 and 14 V.S.A. section 1492, and vary depending on the type of lawsuit being brought:
- Personal Injury - A personal injury lawsuit may be filed up to 3 years after the date of the accident
- Wrongful Death - If someone was killed in the accident, a wrongful death claim may be filed up to 2 years after the individual's death
Vermont Car Accident Laws
Vermont Car Insurance Laws - Vermont insurance regulations require all drivers to have the following insurance coverage policies:
- $25,000 liability coverage for injury or death of one individual in an accident caused by the insured
- $50,000 liability coverage for total injury or death caused by the insured
- $10,000 liability coverage for property damage caused by the insured
If you have been involved in an accident where the driver did not have insurance, or was underinsured, we can help. Contact our firm today to discuss your situation.
Is Vermont a No-Fault State? - No. Vermont is a "fault" state, which means that the at-fault driver's insurance is responsible for covering (up to policy limits) any damages caused to the other party in the accident. While you may still pursue compensation from your own insurance company if you were injured in the accident, your insurance company may then turn around and pursue compensation from the at-fault individual's insurance company.
Car Accident Statistics in Vermont
Yearly traffic fatality statistics reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) indicate that, while traffic fatality rates have not risen over the last few years, they also have not dropped. In 2018 the NHTSA reported the following statistics for Vermont:
- There were 68 traffic fatalities in Vermont in 2018
- 15 fatalities were a result of alcohol-impaired driving
- 25 fatalities were caused by speed-related accidents
- In the same year there were 86 drivers involved in fatal accidents, with 78 drivers being over the age of 21
- Of the 68 fatalities in 2018, 38 were a result of single-vehicle accidents, 11 involved accidents with large trucks, 17 involved a rollover accident, and 52 involved a roadway departure
- The NHTSA ranked Windsor County as the top county for fatal accidents; this county alone accounted for 18% of fatal accidents in 2018
Whether you were the passenger in an automobile, the driver, or a pedestrian who was hit by a car being driven recklessly, our experienced Vermont car accident attorneys know how to fight to protect your rights. Our team works hard to ensure the people responsible for your injuries are held accountable, and get you your deserved compensation.
A Legacy of Successful Cases and Happy Clients Since 1980
Free Initial Consultations and a Contingency Fee Basis
Exclusive Knowledge and Focus on Personal Injury Law
Over 75 Years of Combined Legal Experience
Representation Tailored to Your Specific Needs and Circumstances
24/7 Availability and Fast, Attentive Service
“I Appreciate All That You Did Over The Past 2+ Years.”- Tabbi & Dan D.
“Dennis is an excellent lawyer and a very genuine person.”- Jane S.
“Mr. Mackall was very professional and guided me through the process of a personal injury lawsuit.”- Ritva Burton